We have had a confirmed case of Parvovirus. The pet is recovering well at home. Parvo is more commonly associated with puppies, but in this case it was a older dog. Parvovirus is a highly infectious disease that can be fatal. Many dogs who are diagnosed with parvo will die. The virus attacks cells in a dog’s intestines and stops them from being able to absorb vital nutrients. This means that a dog or puppy will become very weak and dehydrated. It is also known as canine parv
Many animals find fireworks scary. It's estimated that 45 percent of dogs in the UK show signs of fear when they hear fireworks. It doesn’t have to be that way though, so don’t ignore the problem.
There are lots of simple things you can do to help your pet deal with fireworks. By preparing in advance before fireworks start your pet will be better able to cope with the noises. just for cats
l. Make sure your cat has somewhere to hide if they want to. For example this may be u
Indy recently visited the surgery because he had a very limp tail with localised swelling and would not let you touch his tail. Indy had his tail clipped to see if there was any signs of trauma or exposed cuts that could be causing his symptoms, on inspection no cuts or trauma could be found. Helen x-rayed Indy’s tail and found a break, Indy had broken his tail. The tail is an extension of the spine The bones in the tail (vertebrae) are bigger at the base and get smaller towa
We saw the beautiful Zinnia yesterday as she is currently in kitten but feeling under the weather. Zinnia Spent the day with us on intravenous fluids and had an ultrasound to see her babies were all okay. Cat pregnancy normally lasts between 63 and 70 days, cats don’t usually show any symptoms until they are a few weeks into their term. Generally, two types of temperament are seen in cats at kittening: the independent type which will go to extreme lengths to discover a dark e
Paddy a whippet visited the Tyldesley surgery with a lump on his side. After drawing some cells out of the lump with a needle a decision was made to take a biopsy of the lump and send it off for further testing. Paddy was booked in a few days later to have the lump biopsied and sent to a canine pathologist to have a more detailed evaluation of the lump carried out. The results of the lump showed it was spindle cell sarcoma, so Paddy would need extensive surgery to remove t
Be careful when using a cooling mat and make sure your pet is supervised at all times. Naughty Ted decided to chew his new cooling mat and eat the contents, the contents of this cooling mat were not toxic but swelled when they came into contact with water. Ted was made to vomit the contents of the mat up so it would not cause an obstruction. Every cooling mat is different and the contents vary if your pet does eat a cooling mat please contact the surgery. #dogcoolingmat #cool
Fudge visited the surgery due to a few collapsing episode and becoming lethargic over the course of the day. During the consultation the owner mentioned that fudge could of ingested some plants in the garden, after further investigation it was determined that Fudge had eaten some Canadian Poppies. Canadian poppies or any poppies are often not found on the poisons list for cats. All parts of poppies can be harmful to cats if ingested. The amount of alkaloids or opioids can var
Otto got a little more adventure than he expected on his walk. Whilst on his daily walk Otto likes to have a leisurely swim in the local pond/lake, but on this occasion when he surfaced he had a fish hook stuck in his mouth. Due to the barbs on fish hooks, they can be difficult to remove without sedation, minor surgery, and pain medication.
Considerable damage can also be caused if someone pulls on a fishing line after the hook has already become embedded in the animal, so we
Charlie came to see us with low platelets and a Pact Volume cell (PVC) of 17% (this tells us how much blood is in the body with the ideal range being 35%-55%). On a ultrasound a mass in the abdomen was detected and it was established Charlie would need to go into surgery immediately, but he would need to have a blood transfusion first . A call was made to the pet blood bank and we were able to source blood to be delivered the next day. Charlie had his blood transfusion and
Yesterday our Standish branch had a very unusual case, Indi decided to get some exercise on the trampoline. Indi slipped and it resulted in a spring becoming lodged in her hock. Indi was very lucky as the spring missed all vital tendons and she is now back at home recovering. Although lots of dogs love trampolines we do not recommend them for our pets #tyldesleyvets #boothstownvets #tyldesley #trampoline #astley #blackmoor #dog #vets #orthopaedicvet #affordablevet #frenchbull
I have lost my cat. What should I do? If you've lost your cat and they are already microchipped, the first thing you'll need to do is let the microchipping company know. Double-check with the database that your details are correct. If your lost cat is found and taken to a vet or animal welfare organisation, you'll be contacted. Don't forget! Make sure you keep your contact details up to date. If you move home or change any of your contact information, it's important to let yo