We have had a confirmed case of Parvovirus. The pet is recovering well at home. Parvo is more commonly associated with puppies, but in this case it was a older dog. Parvovirus is a highly infectious disease that can be fatal. Many dogs who are diagnosed with parvo will die. The virus attacks cells in a dog’s intestines and stops them from being able to absorb vital nutrients. This means that a dog or puppy will become very weak and dehydrated. It is also known as canine parv
Meet Nelly a Dwarf Hamster who visited the surgery due to a sore back leg. Nelly needed to have an X-ray to see if there was any damage to her bones, we would usually sedate or give patients a general anesthetic to position them for X-ray Nelly was far to small for this. A cardboard tube was used to place tilly in and wrapped around her so she could not move allowing us to x-ray her. Nelly was very brave and no broken bones were found Nelly is now home recovering well. Did yo
Bernie the Bernese Mountain dog visited us with a Hot spot on his leg. A hot spot is officially known as Moist Dermatitis, hot spots are found anywhere on the body and can increase in size very quickly. Your dog will experience them as itchy and sometimes painful patches and will often try to soothe hot spots with scratching, licking or biting. Treatment for a hot spot is to : Clip and clean – clipping the fur around your dog’s hot spot will allow air to reach it and speed up
As we head into Autumn and the nights draw darker we need to be conscious of the dangers around for our pets. * Conkers - While serious cases of poisoning are rare, ingestion can cause marked gastro-intestinal signs such as drooling, retching, vomiting, diarrhoea and abdominal pain. The conker’s case and conkers themselves can also cause intestinal blockages.
*Oaks and acorns - The toxic ingredient is thought to be tannic acid, which can cause damage to the liver and kidneys
Paddy a whippet visited the Tyldesley surgery with a lump on his side. After drawing some cells out of the lump with a needle a decision was made to take a biopsy of the lump and send it off for further testing. Paddy was booked in a few days later to have the lump biopsied and sent to a canine pathologist to have a more detailed evaluation of the lump carried out. The results of the lump showed it was spindle cell sarcoma, so Paddy would need extensive surgery to remove t
Bonny visited the surgery and after consultation with Steven she was found to have a Grade 3 left sided heart murmur, she was admitted for a heart scan with Steven. The scan showed Bonny had mild cardiomegaly, mitral valve regurgitation and mild pulmonary valve regurgitation and Mitral valve disease stage B2. Bonny has been started on medication for her heart and we hope shes feeling much better. Having advanced veterinary equipment allows us to offer the best veterinary car
Be careful when using a cooling mat and make sure your pet is supervised at all times. Naughty Ted decided to chew his new cooling mat and eat the contents, the contents of this cooling mat were not toxic but swelled when they came into contact with water. Ted was made to vomit the contents of the mat up so it would not cause an obstruction. Every cooling mat is different and the contents vary if your pet does eat a cooling mat please contact the surgery. #dogcoolingmat #cool
Most of us will welcome the Storms and thunder but for some of our pets it can be very traumatic. A pet with noise phobia will pick up associated signals, such as rain indicating thunder or even a change in barometric pressure and become fearful long before they hear the sound they are frightened of. Some dogs have responses which are quite difficult to cope with, such as pulling all the contents of a cupboard out and clambering inside, hiding under the bed, running from room
Today is International Cat Day or World cat day, International Cat Day is a day to raise awareness for cats and learn about ways to help and protect them. #internationcatday #internationalcatday2020 #worlscatday #cat #cats #catlove #happycat #angrycat #kitten #catvet #tyldesleyvets #tyldesley #leighvet #vetsinleigh #leigh #athertonvet #atherton #worsleyvet #worsley #boothstownpet #boothstown #orthopaedicvet #advancedvet #petsfirst #affordbalevet
Otto got a little more adventure than he expected on his walk. Whilst on his daily walk Otto likes to have a leisurely swim in the local pond/lake, but on this occasion when he surfaced he had a fish hook stuck in his mouth. Due to the barbs on fish hooks, they can be difficult to remove without sedation, minor surgery, and pain medication.
Considerable damage can also be caused if someone pulls on a fishing line after the hook has already become embedded in the animal, so we
Mitzie an adventurous puppy has got into some mischief eating berries on a walk and was treated by our Standish branch. Rowan berries, however, are dangerous because they contain a specific toxin. They can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and excessive salivation, and affected dogs can show significant signs of disease. Access to rowan berries should therefore be prevented. Other dangerous berries that dogs may find and eat if they aren't watched closely include deadly nightshade, w
The object was identified with an X-ray in the small intestine causing a partial obstruction, Zoe was taken to theatre where it was surgically removed.
Foreign objects swallowed by animals can cause a partial or complete intestinal obstruction and are one of the most common indications for intestinal surgery.
If a foreign body becomes lodged over a period of time then there may be serious complications. Clinical signs of obstruction include dehydration, vomiting, anorexia, we
This stray cat was brought in by its new owner due to a nasal discharge, breathing difficulties and eye issues. After examination it was found to have a whole in the roof of its mouth. This called cleft palate. A cleft palate typically looks like what it sounds like: a hole in the roof of the mouth. That hole may be larger or smaller and it may vary in location (closer to the front or back of the mouth), but most are readily identifiable at birth. Some cleft palate defects ma
**Easter Toxins** WARNING Whilst a majority of us are looking forward to an Easter egg hunt in our own house or garden #stayhome Make sure chocolate eggs, treats and hotcross buns are out of reach of our pets. Chocolate contains theobromine, which is toxic to dogs. Raisins, saltanas, currants and grapes can cause fatal kidney failure in dogs. Some spring bulbs and plants are poisonous to dogs, and some can be fatal if eaten. **Easter eggs** Chocolate contains a chemical call
Meet Leila she came to us as she had started to pass lots of small wees. An ultrasound was preformed and the veterinary surgeon was able to see large stones present taking up almost the entire bladder. Leila was booked in the following day for a cystotomy. A cystotomy is the most indicated treatment of bladder problems including removal of bladder stones,The cystotomy is performed through an incision on the dog’s abdomen which is located towards the rear of the abdomen. Once
Pet Friendly Pancakes. Please share the recipe *we would love to see your pancakes* **Ingredients**
2 eggs **Instructions**
1) Mash up bananas in a large bowl.
2) Whisk eggs (using a fork is just fine!) and add to banana paste.
3) Fry gently in a pan on low-medium heat with a little heated oil or butter.And that’s all there is to it! If you want to make them a little more exciting you can serve them with toppings like tinned fish, vegetables or a little bacon if you’
Unfortunately we have seen our first two cases in 2020 of Myxomatosis this week. Myxomatosis is a viral disease that affects rabbits. Unfortunately it is a very serious, often fatal disease. It was first reported in wild rabbits in the UK in the 1950s and still remains a common disease found in the population today. Because of the prevalence of Myxomatosis in the wild population and its method of transmission it can easily be transmitted to our pet bunnies. Myxomatosis can be
I have lost my cat. What should I do? If you've lost your cat and they are already microchipped, the first thing you'll need to do is let the microchipping company know. Double-check with the database that your details are correct. If your lost cat is found and taken to a vet or animal welfare organisation, you'll be contacted. Don't forget! Make sure you keep your contact details up to date. If you move home or change any of your contact information, it's important to let yo