Rosie recently visited the surgery due to a fast growing lump on her toe. After initial treatment for the lump no improvement was seen and the decision was made to amputate the toe and send the lump off for testing. Rosie has had a long recovery which has needed substational care with dressing changes every few days on her foot due to excellent care from her owners, Rosie is nearly back to her normal self and is managing fine on her 3 toes. Dogs are digitigrade animals, meani
Scooby a very cheeky rabbit visited us recently due to a sore leg. Scooby had to have an X-ray on his leg to see if there was any obvious broken bones or fractures. X-raying a rabbit can be very challenging due to their size, and easily stressed nature. X-rays are like light except they can travel through the body. For an x-ray a rabbit will lies under the x-ray machine which sends a beam of x-rays through the rabbit’s body onto a photographic plate. When the film is develope
Meet Rosie who recently decided to start a fight with some chickens! Rosie came off worse for wear when a piece of hay became embedded in her eye causing an ulcer. Rosie had a dye called fluorescein placed into her eye the dye sticks to the damaged areas of the eye and shows how far the corneal ulcer extends, by highlighting luminous green under a florescent blue light. Cats have better night vision than us humans but the basic structure is much the same. Because the eye is
poinsettia mildly toxic to dogs and cats 🌺 Poinsettias are originally from Mexico and are famous for reaching their beautiful red full bloom in December. Their bright red petals are actually leaves and, because they contain chemicals called diterpenoid euphorbol esters, they’re mildly toxic to dogs and cats. If your pets Eat poinsettia they can experience drooling, oral pain, diarrhoea and vomiting — but only if they’re ingested in large enough quantities. Please call the su
We have had a confirmed case of Parvovirus. The pet is recovering well at home. Parvo is more commonly associated with puppies, but in this case it was a older dog. Parvovirus is a highly infectious disease that can be fatal. Many dogs who are diagnosed with parvo will die. The virus attacks cells in a dog’s intestines and stops them from being able to absorb vital nutrients. This means that a dog or puppy will become very weak and dehydrated. It is also known as canine parv
Due to no large firework displays this year we feel there will be an increase in backyard displays, which will go no for a considerable amount of time. Here is some tips to try keep your pets calm. What should I do on firework nights to help keep my cat or dog calm? Take your dog for a walk well before fireworks are due to begin. Don’t pick up cats or restrain them if they are scared: cats prefer to control how they cope. Keep doors, windows and cat and dog flaps closed. Draw
Jaz came to visit us due to a very swollen ear. The ear had filled with blood causing an aural hematoma. An aural hematoma is a clot of blood that collects between the skin and the cartilage of a pet’s ear flap. It’s typically caused by overly aggressive ear scratching or head shaking that results from an ear infection. Dogs and cats can both suffer ear hematomas, though dogs (particularly those prone to skin allergies and ear infections) are more prone to them. Surgical rep
Many animals find fireworks scary. It's estimated that 45 percent of dogs in the UK show signs of fear when they hear fireworks. It doesn’t have to be that way though, so don’t ignore the problem.
There are lots of simple things you can do to help your pet deal with fireworks. By preparing in advance before fireworks start your pet will be better able to cope with the noises. just for cats
l. Make sure your cat has somewhere to hide if they want to. For example this may be u
Cooper recently visited us as he had sliced his tongue whilst playing with another dog. Cooper had to have a general anaesthetic and quite a few sutures placed in his tongue. Did you know a dogs tongue is like a radiator, a water-lapper, a healer of wounds, a food conveyor, a register of tastes, a texture sensor, and a wet equivalent of a dog's handshake. A dog's tongue has more responsibilities than any other part of the dog anatomy -- excluding the brain. And oddly enough,
Diabetes is a disease that is on the increase in dogs and cats, over the last few weeks we have diagnosed an increasing number of cases. Diabetes mellitus in pets is very similar to that in humans, it occurs when the body cannot produce enough insulin (type 1) or the body no longer responds to the insulin it produces (type 2), this insulin is vital for converting sugar in the blood to useable energy within the body. Diagnosis of diabetes is easy, with a simple blood and urin
Indy recently visited the surgery because he had a very limp tail with localised swelling and would not let you touch his tail. Indy had his tail clipped to see if there was any signs of trauma or exposed cuts that could be causing his symptoms, on inspection no cuts or trauma could be found. Helen x-rayed Indy’s tail and found a break, Indy had broken his tail. The tail is an extension of the spine The bones in the tail (vertebrae) are bigger at the base and get smaller towa
Meet daisy the beautiful Boston terrier. We have seen Daisy this week with a painful eye which had high ocular pressure due to glaucoma as it could not be medically managed the decision was made to remove the eye. Daisy has been very brave and is recovering at home with lots of TLC.
Glaucoma is a condition in which pressure is placed on the eye, causing inadequate fluid drainage in the eye. If the condition becomes chronic or persists without treatment, it will eventually c
Bernie the Bernese Mountain dog visited us with a Hot spot on his leg. A hot spot is officially known as Moist Dermatitis, hot spots are found anywhere on the body and can increase in size very quickly. Your dog will experience them as itchy and sometimes painful patches and will often try to soothe hot spots with scratching, licking or biting. Treatment for a hot spot is to : Clip and clean – clipping the fur around your dog’s hot spot will allow air to reach it and speed up
We saw the beautiful Zinnia yesterday as she is currently in kitten but feeling under the weather. Zinnia Spent the day with us on intravenous fluids and had an ultrasound to see her babies were all okay. Cat pregnancy normally lasts between 63 and 70 days, cats don’t usually show any symptoms until they are a few weeks into their term. Generally, two types of temperament are seen in cats at kittening: the independent type which will go to extreme lengths to discover a dark e
As we head into Autumn and the nights draw darker we need to be conscious of the dangers around for our pets. * Conkers - While serious cases of poisoning are rare, ingestion can cause marked gastro-intestinal signs such as drooling, retching, vomiting, diarrhoea and abdominal pain. The conker’s case and conkers themselves can also cause intestinal blockages.
*Oaks and acorns - The toxic ingredient is thought to be tannic acid, which can cause damage to the liver and kidneys
Paddy a whippet visited the Tyldesley surgery with a lump on his side. After drawing some cells out of the lump with a needle a decision was made to take a biopsy of the lump and send it off for further testing. Paddy was booked in a few days later to have the lump biopsied and sent to a canine pathologist to have a more detailed evaluation of the lump carried out. The results of the lump showed it was spindle cell sarcoma, so Paddy would need extensive surgery to remove t
Naughty Frankie the Irish terrier managed to steal 180g of Chocolate. Chocolate poisoning affects the heart, central nervous system and kidneys. Symptoms of dogs eating chocolate usually occur between four and 24 hours after your dog has eaten chocolate. The effect and signs of chocolate poisoning in dogs depends on the amount eaten and the size of the breed. Freddie was given a drug to induce vomiting emptying his stomach contents, he was then fed activated charcoal. Activat
A favourite past time for pets is chasing bees and wasps in the garden, Lily got a little more than she bargained for when the bee decided to chase her and sting her paw. If your pet is stung and starts to have difficulty breathing or showing signs of an allergic reaction like swelling, fitting excessive drooling call us Immediately. We can administer an injectable steroid or anti histamine medication to provide immediate relief (usually within about 30 minutes) and reduce th
Blu visited the surgery on Saturday after he ran into a fish tank, as fish tanks have sharp corners this made a deep wound on Blu. Wounds vary according to: Cause - puncture wounds, abrasions, or lacerations Location - paws, abdomen, eyes, etc. Level of contamination - clean (surgical) wounds, contaminated (infected) we consider all these factors when deciding the best way to treat a specific wound. Sometimes the location or the amount of skin loss prevents surgical closure o
Be careful when using a cooling mat and make sure your pet is supervised at all times. Naughty Ted decided to chew his new cooling mat and eat the contents, the contents of this cooling mat were not toxic but swelled when they came into contact with water. Ted was made to vomit the contents of the mat up so it would not cause an obstruction. Every cooling mat is different and the contents vary if your pet does eat a cooling mat please contact the surgery. #dogcoolingmat #cool