Search

Acorns Conkers and Antifreeze toxic to cats and dogs

Updated: Oct 6

As we head into Autumn and the nights draw darker we need to be conscious of the dangers around for our pets.

* Conkers - While serious cases of poisoning are rare, ingestion can cause marked gastro-intestinal signs such as drooling, retching, vomiting, diarrhoea and abdominal pain. The conker’s case and conkers themselves can also cause intestinal blockages. *Oaks and acorns - The toxic ingredient is thought to be tannic acid, which can cause damage to the liver and kidneys. Signs include vomiting, diarrhoea, abdominal pain and lethargy. Ingested acorns can also cause an intestinal blockage. * Antifreeze - Ethylene glycol ingestion is very dangerous. It is sweet tasting and very palatable and even a relatively small quantity can cause serious kidney damage and be fatal. The first signs of intoxication can be that your dog or cat appears ‘drunk’. If you know your dog has ingested ethylene glycol or you have any concerns, contact your vet without delay. * Mushrooms - some are highly toxic to dogs but even fungi experts (mycologists) find it difficult to tell between them. The best bet is to ensure you keep all of them well out of your dog’s reach.

#tyldesley #candogseatacorns #candogseatconkers #acorns #conkers #conkerstoxictodogs #autumn #autumnwalks #antifreeze #toxicantifreeze #puppies #kittens #orthopaedicvet #vetsnearme #bestvetsnearme #localvet #orthopaedicvet #canineorthopaedics #felineorthopaedics #tplo #cherryeye #leigh #leighvet #athertonvets #myvet #boothstown #worsley #worsleyvet #worsleywoods #walkies #areacornstoxictodogs #areconkerstoxictodogs #mushroomtoxictodogs #conkerstoxic #acornstoxic

43 views

Address

152 Elliott St
Tyldesley, M29 8FJ
United Kingdom

Follow

  • White Facebook Icon

©2020 by Tyldesley Vets. Website by Swann Digital