Search

Otto and the Fish Hook

Otto got a little more adventure than he expected on his walk.

Whilst on his daily walk Otto likes to have a leisurely swim in the local pond/lake, but on this occasion when he surfaced he had a fish hook stuck in his mouth.

Due to the barbs on fish hooks, they can be difficult to remove without sedation, minor surgery, and pain medication. Considerable damage can also be caused if someone pulls on a fishing line after the hook has already become embedded in the animal, so we don’t recommend attempts at removing fish hooks.

Otto was sedated to remove the fish hook and sent home with a course of antibiotics.

Dogs are particularly tempted by shiny lures and tasty bait, with the hook typically becoming embedded in their mouth, food pipe or stomach as a result. There have also been cases of dogs eating discarded fish heads and inadvertently swallowing the fish hook inside of them. Dogs and cats also, occasionally, suffer paw injuries from standing on fish hooks.

If you suspect your pet has eaten a fish hook please ring us immediately.


#fishing #fishhook #tyldesleyvet #tyldesleyvets #worsleyvet #vetsinworsley #vetsinboothstown #boothstown #leigh #leighvet #vetsinleigh #tyldesley #orthopaedicvet #orthopaedicvets #vetsinmanchester #manchestervet #laparoscopicvet #laparoscopicspay #dogneuteringnearme #catneutering #felinelove ##fracturerepair #crucuiaterupture #patellasurgery #lamedog #lamness #cherryeye #dogchemotherapy #spinalsurgery #astleyvets #familyrunvet #loaclavet #affordablevet #advancedvet #surgicalvet #vetsinmanchester #bestvet #bestvetnearme

3 views

Address

152 Elliott St
Tyldesley, M29 8FJ
United Kingdom

Follow

  • White Facebook Icon

©2020 by Tyldesley Vets. Website by Swann Digital